Key Points
- The Hackney Dudes, a men’s social group for those over 50, many vulnerable and isolated, faces closure as funding runs out at the end of March 2026.
- Established over six years ago by social enterprise MRS Independent Living, the group meets Friday mornings at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden, offering a safe space, free vegetarian lunches for around 40 members weekly, and fortnightly day trips to London attractions and seaside locations.
- Membership exceeds 80, the largest in Hackney and possibly London, spawning breakout groups like arts and crafts, Hackney Dudes Community Band, short mat bowling club, and member holidays.
- Paul Lejeune, a member, described it as a “real lifeline” during his grief and depression after his father’s death, providing coffee, chats, and laughs as “perfect therapy.”
- Lejeune highlighted loneliness as a huge problem for older men, especially the elderly with walking sticks or hospital visits, where sharing concerns boosts wellbeing; the group receives weekly referrals and has a waiting list.
- Funding primarily from City Bridge Foundation ends March 2026; a fundraiser on Kindlink seeks £50,000 for venue hire, staffing, food, and trips, raising over £6,300 so far, largely from members, friends, and family.
- Lejeune noted members’ concern over potential closure and how much it means to them.
- City Bridge Foundation spokesperson affirmed commitment to Londoners, having awarded over £840m in 30 years under a 10-year “Standing with Londoners” policy focusing on systemic change and immediate community issues; they supported MRS Independent Living for three years with flexible funding and back aligned organisations.
- Donations via QR code or https://www.kindlink.com/fundraising/MRS-Independent-Living/dudes-2026.
Hackney, London (East London Times) February 20, 2026 – The Hackney Dudes, a vital men’s social group run by MRS Independent Living, battles for survival as its primary funding from City Bridge Foundation expires at the end of March, prompting a desperate £50,000 fundraiser that has raised just over £6,300 to date.
- Key Points
- What Is The Hackney Dudes And How Did It Start?
- Why Do Members Call It A ‘Lifeline’?
- How Has The Group Expanded Beyond Weekly Meet-Ups?
- What Funding Challenges Does The Group Face?
- What Is City Bridge Foundation’s Position?
- How Can The Public Help Save The Hackney Dudes?
- Why Is This Group Vital For Hackney’s Community?
- What Happens If Funding Isn’t Secured?
- Broader Context: Funding Pressures On Community Groups
The group, serving over 80 members aged over 50 – many vulnerable and isolated – offers Friday morning meet-ups at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden, complete with free vegetarian lunches for around 40 attendees provided by garden staff before public opening. Paul Lejeune, a member, told the Citizen that finding the group was a “real lifeline” amid his grief and depression following his father’s death several years ago.
What Is The Hackney Dudes And How Did It Start?
The Hackney Dudes provides a “safe, friendly and welcoming space” for older men, established more than six years ago by social enterprise MRS Independent Living. It has grown into Hackney’s largest group of its kind and, members believe, one of London’s biggest, with over 80 members and a waiting list due to weekly new referrals.
Meetings occur on Friday mornings at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden, where members enjoy companionship ahead of public hours. Beyond weekly gatherings, fortnightly day trips visit London attractions or seaside spots, fostering deeper connections.
Why Do Members Call It A ‘Lifeline’?
Paul Lejeune told the Citizen,
“I was grieving and I had some depression over my father’s death, and to go to the group and have a coffee, a chat and a laugh was perfect therapy.”
He added,
“There isn’t really anything comparable, certainly not on this scale. We’re really lucky to have this amazing space to ourselves.”
Lejeune emphasised its role for older men:
“Loneliness is a huge problem [both] in London and further afield. People’s mental health is paramount.”
He noted,
“A lot of the men are quite elderly, some use walking sticks, some are in and out of hospital sometimes. But being with the group they can discuss it, they can share their concerns and their worries. As I say, a lot of the time just having a good chat and a laugh is so good for their wellbeing.”
How Has The Group Expanded Beyond Weekly Meet-Ups?
From the core group, smaller breakout activities have emerged, including a weekly arts and crafts meet-up, The Hackney Dudes Community Band, and a short mat bowling club. Some members have even holidayed together, showcasing the profound bonds formed.
These offshoots highlight the group’s role in combating isolation, with demand evident in the waiting list.
What Funding Challenges Does The Group Face?
The group’s funding, primarily from City Bridge Foundation, will end in March 2026, leaving no other sources. A Kindlink fundraiser states,
“From April, the Hackney Dudes will not receive funding from any other source and we now have to rely on your kindness and generosity. Please help this vital men’s group to secure its future.”
Funds will cover Friday meet-up costs like venue hire, staffing, and food, plus continued excursions if possible. At the time of reporting, over £6,300 of the £50,000 target was raised, much from Dudes, their friends, and family.
Lejeune said,
“You talk to a lot of the members and they’re so concerned at the moment. They’re worried that [the group] is going to close down, and you can see how much it means to them.”
What Is City Bridge Foundation’s Position?
A City Bridge Foundation spokesperson said:
“City Bridge Foundation is committed to supporting Londoners and ensuring our resources have the greatest impact. As London’s largest independent charitable funder, we have awarded more than £840m over the past 30 years.”
They continued:
“Our new 10-year Standing with Londoners funding policy guides our grant making, focusing on changing the systems that keep people marginalised, while also addressing the issues communities face right now. We have been pleased to support MRS Independent Living for the past three years, including providing additional flexible funding. We remain focused on backing organisations that align with our strategy and strengthen communities across the capital.”
This statement underscores their strategic priorities amid ongoing support for aligned initiatives.
How Can The Public Help Save The Hackney Dudes?
Donations are urged via the fundraiser’s QR code or directly at https://www.kindlink.com/fundraising/MRS-Independent-Living/dudes-2026. The page appeals for support to sustain operations into 2026 and beyond.
With clear demand and proven impact, community backing could secure this lifeline for Hackney’s older men.
Why Is This Group Vital For Hackney’s Community?
In an area like Hackney, where isolation affects many over-50s, The Hackney Dudes fills a critical gap. Its scale – over 80 members, breakouts, trips – sets it apart, as Lejeune noted no comparable alternatives exist.
Loneliness exacerbates mental health issues, particularly for elderly men facing health challenges. The group’s therapy-through-community model offers accessible, immediate support, evidenced by referrals and waiting lists.
What Happens If Funding Isn’t Secured?
Closure looms from April without funds, halting meet-ups, lunches, trips, and breakouts. Members’ worries, as voiced by Lejeune, reflect deep emotional reliance. Vulnerable individuals risk heightened isolation and mental health decline without this space.
The fundraiser’s modest progress underscores urgency for broader public engagement.
Broader Context: Funding Pressures On Community Groups
City Bridge Foundation’s policy shift highlights sector-wide challenges, prioritising systemic change over ongoing operational grants. MRS Independent Living received three years’ support, including flexible funds, but must now pivot.
This mirrors pressures on London’s voluntary sector, where demand for mental health and isolation services surges post-pandemic.
